Few day ago my cousin went on a school trip to the India and all the parents, teachers and the group organisers had created a WhatsApp group. Now that the kids are back people are leaving the group one by one and I wanted to do the same. Since I don’t use WhatsApp much I didn’t know how to exit the WhatsApp group. The information present on the WhatsApp website’s FAQs page doesn’t seem to help much. I had to find it on my own.
Leaving or Exiting a WhatsApp group
- Open the WhatsApp app
- Go to the Chats screen
- Long press the WhatsApp group’s name until it is selected
- Tap on the three dots on the top-right corner of your screen
- There you find the Exit Group option– tap it
You have exited the WhatsApp group.
Why don’t the steps given on the official FAQs on the WhatsApp website work? According to the website
- Open WhatsApp and go to the Chats screen
- Slide your finger across the group you wish to exit, from right to left
- Tap More, and then choose Exit Group from the menu
Sliding your finger across the group doesn’t work. This doesn’t work because when you slide your finger from right to left it takes you to the next screen on the right. Similarly, if you slide your finger from left to right it takes you to the next screen on the left.
Instead, just long-press the WhatsApp group that you want to exit and THEN go to the settings menu in order to exit the group.